Carbon monoxide (CO) is a gas. It has no odor. CO gas is poisonous.
It can make a person feel sick and can be deadly. In the home, heating
and cooking devices that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide.
CO alarms should be installed outside each sleeping area. Install alarms on every level of the home. It is best to use interconnected alarms. When one sounds, all CO alarms in the home sound.
Follow the instructions on the package to properly install the CO alarm.
Test CO alarms at least once a month.
Replace CO alarms according to the instructions on the package.
Know the sounds the CO alarm makes. It will sound if CO is detected. It will make a different sound if the battery is low or if it is time to get a new CO alarm.
If the battery is low, replace it.
If the CO alarm sounds, you must get fresh air. Move outdoors, by an open window or near an open door. Make sure everyone in the home gets to fresh air. Call the fire department from a fresh air location. Stay there until help arrives.
PREVENT CO POISONING
Clear snow away.
During and after a snowstorm, make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow build-up.
Clear all debris from dryer, furnace, stove, and fireplace vents.
A generator should be used outdoors. Use in a well-ventilated location away from windows, doors, and vent openings.
Gas or charcoal grills can produce CO. Only use them outside.
Have heating equipment and chimneys inspected by a professional every year before cold weather sets in.
Open the damper when using a fireplace for adequate ventilation.
Never use your oven or stove to heat your home.
CO is called the silent killer because the gas cannot been
seen or smelled. Take action to stay safe from CO poisoning.