A Heartfelt Open Letter To The Guilford Fire Department

On Sunday Morning, June 23, my son went for a motorcycle ride. Traveling west on Rt. 80 he swerved to miss a car at the intersection of Hart Rd and Rt. 80. His motorcycle went into an unrecoverable wobble and hit the guard rail on the eastbound side of Rt.80 at the exit of Farina Pizza sending him flying through the air and landing about 20 feet down in the ravine of Little Meadow Brook. With all of his lumbar vertebrates broken, two of them shattered, he lay helpless in the water until help arrived. He was rushed to Yale where they stabilized him and prepared him for surgery on Monday which lasted until the early hours of this morning. His back is now fused from T10 to his pelvis, the press

Guilford Fire Department adds 2nd class for Safe Boating course

Due to the high request for attendance for this course, we have decided to host another course that will be held on the nights of July 22nd and 23rd. The class will begin at 5:30 Pm and end at 9:30 Pm. Guilford Fire Department will be hosting an approved free Safe Boater and Personal Watercraft combination course. The course will be conducted by The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection and will be held on July 22nd and July 23rd from 5:30 - 9:30 Pm. The course will be conducted at The Guilford Fire Department located at 390 Church Street in Guilford, CT. There is no minimum age for this course but the recommended age is 14 and above. If you or someone you know is int

Firefighter Service Awards

On April 14, 2019 at 3:24 Pm, the guilford Fire Department was dispatched to South Union Street for a 13-year-old male patient experiencing a siezure. Upon the arrival of the Guilford Fire Department, a bystander was performing Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation on the victim. The patient was unresponsive and did not have a pulse. Fire department personnel immediately assessed the patients cardiac rhythm and confirmed the patient was in cardiac arrest. The patient was immediately defibrillated and the patients cardiac rhythm returned back to a normal perfusing rhythm. While transporting to Yale Pediatric Emergency Department, the victim regained consciousness. Approximately two hours after the p

Rise In Fires Due To Improper Disposal Of Oily Rags

As we get into the summer season, outdoor home improvement activities start to increase. Some home improvement tasks include outdoor staining of decks or furniture. This can be a dangerous task if the rags used to stain these items are not properly disposed of. The most common type of Spontaneous Combustion fires are those caused by improperly disposing of oil and stain soaked rags. Examples of these products are oil-based paints, stains, teak, linseed oils, varnishes, polyurethane, paint thinners, etc. Spontaneous combustion of oily rags occurs when rag or cloth is slowly heated to its ignition point through oxidation. A substance will begin to release heat as it oxidizes. If this heat has

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square