Christmas Wreath Sale

Come out and support a great cause. This year Eagle Hose Fire Company #2 Ladies Auxiliary will be selling Christmas Wreaths to benefit the volunteer fire company. The sale will be held at 120 Whitfield Street in front of Eagle Hose Company #2 on Friday November 30th from 4 to 8Pm. Come out and support your local volunteer fire department by purchasing a beautiful Christmas Wreath that will brighten your house this Holiday Season.

Space heaters account for 43 percent of U.S. home heating fires and 85 percent of associated deaths

Keeping sufficiently warm during the winter months can prove challenging, particularly when frigid temperatures persist, as they have recently for much of the country. While portable space heaters can help generate heat, the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is reminding the public that they do present potential fire hazards and must be used with caution. According to NFPA’s latest U.S. Home Fires Involving Heating Equipment report, which was released today, heating equipment is the second-leading cause of U.S. home fires and the third-leading cause of home fire deaths. More than half (53 percent) of all home heating fire deaths resulted from fires that began when heating equipment

Do not plug space heaters into power strips

As temperatures drop, you may want to use a space heater to stay warm -- but you should never plug it into a power strip. With cooler temperatures expected, some may want to use their small space heaters. If so, DO NOT plug them into a power strip. These devices are not designed to handle the energy load of a space heater and can overheat, causing a fire hazard. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, improperly plugged space heaters can overheat more than 500-600 degrees Fahrenheit. This not only poses a significant fire hazard, but can also lead to electric shock. According to the Electrical Safety Foundation International, improperly plugged space heaters can overheat

Office of The Fire Marshal Urges Residents To Check Their Chimneys

The Office Of The Fire Marshal wants residents to be safe this Winter season. As the cold weather arrives, the use and the chances of chimney fires increase. To reduce the chance of a chimney fire, it is important to have your chimney cleaned and liner checked. Make sure the chimney cleaning company is licensed and insured to perform the work. If you have replaced the traditional chimney flue with a spring loaded top damper, the damper should be checked for proper operation. If the top damper does not fully open, excessive heat and harmful gases can build up possibly causing a chimney fire to occur. If not vented properly, carbon monoxide can buildup in the house posing a danger to you and y

Thanksgiving Safety

For most, the kitchen is the heart of the home, especially during the holidays. From testing family recipes to decorating cakes and cookies, everyone enjoys being part of the preparations. So keeping fire safety top of mind in the kitchen during this joyous but hectic time is important, especially when there’s a lot of activity and people at home. As you start preparing your holiday schedule and organizing that large family feast, remember, by following a few simple safety tips you can enjoy time with your loved ones and keep yourself and your family safer from fire. Thanksgiving by the numbers Thanksgiving is the peak day for home cooking fires, followed by Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, and

Guilford Firefighters Deliver Gifts With Santa

It is that time of the year again.... We are so excited to give Santa Claus a hand delivering gifts on our firetruck to the citizens of Guilford. We say citizens because we do not only deliver to kids but to adults too. How about having Santa deliver that engagement ring to the love of your life? Now that is a unique idea that will definitely get you brownie points! Below is the registration form that you can download and bring to Fire Headquarters with your gift(s). This year we will be delivering the weeks of the 12th and 19th. All paperwork and gifts need to be dropped off to us at Fire HQ by 12/1. message or email us with any questions iaff4177@gmail.com. We look forward to seeing you. C

Captain Mike Walston Receives Service Award

The Town of Guilford and the Connecticut Conference of Municipalities (CCM) have recognized eight town employees who had reached service milestones of 25 years and above of full-time employment as of this October. Those employees reaching milestone years (5 year increments) during the past 2 years were: Eric Kiesewetter (Public Works) – 40 Years Adam Ashman (Public Works) – 35 Years Terry Holland-Buckley (Parks and Recreation) – 35 Years Kerry Lange (Public Works) – 30 Years Captain Michael Walston (Fire Department) – 30 Years Jennifer Bernardo (Assessor) – 25 Years Nancy Wardell (Library) – 25 Years Jane Olsen (Public Works) – 25 Years Congratulations to this year’s honorees and thank you

A. O. Smith Recalls 30-Gallon Gas Water Heaters Due to Fire Hazard

Name of product: A. O. Smith 30 gallon gas water heaters with model number G6-UT3030N Hazard: The water heater’s flame arrestor can fail to work properly, posing a fire hazard. Remedy: Repair Recall date: November 8, 2018 Units: About 190 Recall Details Description: This recall includes A. O. Smith 30-gallon natural gas water heaters with model number G6-UT3030NV and serial numbers with the first four digits of 1805 through 1809. A. O. Smith, the model number and the serial number are printed on the data plate located next to the gas water heater’s control valve/thermostat. A. O. Smith is printed near the top of the water heater. Remedy: Consumers should immediately turn off and stop using

Winter Increases The Chances of Fire

Each year more than 2,500 people die and 12,600 are injured in home fires in the United States. But unlike other disasters, home fires can be prevented! It's important to know this: Fire is fast! There is no time to gather anything or make a phone call. In just two minutes, a fire could kill you. In five minutes, a house could be swallowed in flames. Fire is hot! Heat and smoke could be even more dangerous than the flames. Breathing in really hot air could burn your lungs, and fire produces poisonous gases that can make you sleepy and unable to escape. Fire is dark! It can be hard to find your way out of your house in a fire. Fire is deadly! Fire uses up oxygen you need to breathe and produc

Close Before You Doze Campaign

UL Offers Potentially Life-Saving Tip For Home Fire Safety: Close Before You Doze. COLUMBIA, Md., Oct. 8, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- Just in time for National Fire Prevention Week, the UL Firefighter Safety Research Institute (FSRI) is reminding people across the U.S. to take one simple action in their homes that could potentially save lives: Close Before You Doze. This vital public safety campaign encourages everyone to close all the doors in their homes each night before bed, following a study conducted by UL FSRI, showing that in a home fire, a closed door can be an effective barrier against deadly levels of carbon monoxide, smoke and flames. However, a new consumer survey conducted by UL FSRI

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square